Saturday, January 28, 2006

Finding the Script















I have to say, I never look for scripts. I have so many submissions from writers that it's hard to keep up with them. However, I do subscribe to Inktip.com and they send me a newsletter every quarter and one day during casual (private) reading, I came across THE WEDDING VIDEO by Chris Pentzell.

Not being real hopeful, because let's face it...everyone has a script and those are generally the ones people end up sending me... I read the screenplay and loved it! This has really only happened about ten times, not including my own scripts, and three of those I optioned; LAST CALL AT MURRAY'S, OCTOBER 30TH and BILL SHAKESPEARE. I'm in the middle of producing them and honestly felt I didn't have the time or energy to do another. I also felt it wasn't right to option it, knowing I couldn't produce until 2007, so I called Chris and let him know how much I liked the material and if it happened to still be available later I would be very interested in producing it.

Then I went to Todd's to discuss our other projects. Todd is the king of "Let's make a movie". You can see this by his bio at my website (www.runawayproductions.tv). Anyway, he's the realist and I'm the optimist and so he says to me, "we need to do another film that we know will happen"...because let's face it, until the money is in the bank, the camera's aren't rolling. So even though we have a company championing OCTOBER 30TH and it's the first film on their slate and they've raised at least a third of their budget and definitely the money to make ours, he's still a realist. I mentioned I read this great little comedy "THE WEDDING VIDEO".

Todd is always skeptical of comedy because it doesn't translate as well as thriller/horror in other countries but after hearing the concept he said, "Let's make that one". Now the last time he said that, we were raising money for OCTOBER 30TH and the writer of that, Pat Hludzenski, had just sent me another of his scripts. I knew it was up Todd's alley, so I gave it to him to read and we were in production in a month! I told him, you get money and a distribution deal and I'll do it. So he did. Anyway, it's LOOK @ ME. We made it in 6 months and it's in distribution with IFM World Releasing. So...you understand my fear of those words.

Anyway, to conclude a long story, he read it (1/2 of it and called me...let's definitely do this), I called Chris back, invited him over for dinner to meet us and see another low budget comedy that Todd produced, INTERVIEWING NORMAN, and Chris signed on...after formalities ~

1 Comments:

Blogger Joan Blair said...

I'm excited to be a part of the "Wedding Video" cast.

It should be a fun time working with such wonderful people!

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home